Alcohol detoxification is the first step to sobriety. Detox is the process of clearing the body and bloodstream of any trace of alcohol, while allowing the brain return to a normal equilibrium. Call us 24/7 at (888) 882-9251 to discuss a detox program at a rehabilitation center that fits your specific needs.
According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, there are three steps in detox from alcohol dependence:
- Identify traces and amount of substance in the blood
- Diagnose mental illness or behavioral issues (dual diagnosis)
- With medical supervision, patient is guided through detoxification
- Medications prescribed as needed
- Withdrawal symptoms emerge and are treated accordingly
- Transition to Rehabilitation
- Detox deals with physical aspect of addiction, and rehabilitation now deals with the psychological and behavioral affects
Withdrawal is unfortunately a part of detoxification that must be dealt with. For people addicted to cocaine, ecstasy, and marijuana, their symptoms are more emotional. These symptoms can include:
However, for alcohol abusers, it is crucial that you do not quit overnight or without the support and supervision of medical professionals at a rehabilitation center. Alcohol dependence withdrawal symptoms can be life threatening, including seizures, heart attack, or stroke. If left untreated, alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. During the first 7-10 days of detox, you will experience physical withdrawal, such as
- Muscle tension
- Difficulty breathing
Our goal is for you to begin an alcohol detox in the safest, healthiest way possible at a quality rehabilitation center. Be sure to contact us before starting this recovery process in order to discuss healthy, sustainable options for life long sobriety.